Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Revival of the Foodist

The title of this blog, The Revival of the Foodist, sums up what I try to do every day.  As a nutrition therapist with Food As Medicine Holistic Health Counseling, part of my job is to re-awaken people's primal fascination with food - to try to make every one of my clients and friends and family members into foodists.


It's fun and rewarding doing this every day.  I get to hear about my clients making kale salad for the first time and actually liking it.  Or about my sister's discovery of her new favorite snack food, cashews and dates, which she was sure she would hate when I first told her about it.  My friends tell me about how they've started cooking again and the satisfaction it brings them.  They're all becoming foodists.  Discerning foodists.  Nothing makes me happier, which is why I know I'm in the right profession.

Now, after that sweet little introduction, I'll warn you that my tactics to woo your love for food won't be lacking in my very own (well-researched) opinions and some biting sarcasm.  I am a passionate person, and nothing unleashes zeal in me like the topic of nutrition.  Food and nutrition are the centerpieces of a debate between a whole lot of parties who each truly believe that they are right.  And a lot of them are right.

There are vegans who swear by veganism, who are sure that nobody should be eating anything that comes from an animal.  On the other hand, there are Paleolithic eaters who are sure that everyone should eat a LOT of foods that come from animals.  Our bodies and genetic propensities are all so different from each other that there is not one particular diet that works for everyone.



http://etnies.com/blog
http://www.paleodietrecipesinfo.com


There are, however, certain parties in this great debate who we should pay a little bit more attention to than others because some are just plain crazy.  Throughout this blog, I'll tell you about the merits and shortcomings of all kinds of diets, supplements, and individual foods.  I will do my best to educate you with unbiased research to back it up.  But the main point is this: If you are a vegan and you're just eating organic fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds that are in their most unadulterated form, OR if you are a Paleolithic eater who just eats organic vegetables and fruit, grass-fed beef, free-roaming chickens, wild fish, eggs, seeds and nuts then you are BOTH probably in way better health than the person whose food mostly comes from boxes, cans and fast food restaurants.   

Being truly healthy and thriving is about eating fresh foods that have abundant nutrients,  vibrant color, and that exude vitality - not "fortified", highly processed grains that need to have synthetic vitamins put back into them.  Not lackluster fish that are injected with dyes to make it look appealing.  Not "food" that looks like, say, a chicken nugget, but is actually just an assemblage of corn products.  Not fake meats that are made up of one hundred ingredients that were so overly processed and packed together that they now look and taste (sort of) like meat. 

You get the picture.  It's simple.  In general, you will thrive if you drink pure water and eat humanely raised and properly fed meats, seafood and eggs, and organic vegetables, fruits, herbs, spices, and sea plants.  We'll talk about grains, legumes and dairy later.  For now, explore the outer perimeter of your grocery store to whet the appetite of your inner foodist.


Photo by Heisel Photo - www.heiselphoto.com


5 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! My only disappointment was the ad immediately following your post with the HUGE donut on it. Where did that come from?
    ...comic relief?...priceless!
    Congrats on this nourishing blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Not only do you have great tips on healthy living but you also have pics of prehistoric beast and photos of my favorite nutrition therapist in cute poses! Well done Neely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, you guys! I know - I saw the donut and decided to leave it because I thought it was funny...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for this blog neely. I know a lot of people who will be looking at this on a regular basis, myself included

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely going to check this regularly. Its a gift to all of us that you are sharing your knowledge this way!

    ReplyDelete